Wrapping up Week 1 of the Summer of Core, we are adding on to Boat pose one more time. Today, we add a toe grab, which challenges our balance, flexibility and overall core strength.
Let’s Do It
- Start in Boat pose.
- Reach for your toes or feet, and get a secure grip.
- Find balance on your sitz bones and get steady.
- Work to straighten your legs as you lift your chest and straighten your back.
- Pull your thighs toward your ribs as you exhale, keeping a long spine.
- Have fun with this pose! It’s easy to roll onto your back or tip over. Don’t be afraid to laugh at the goofiness that can ensue.
Full boat with a toe grab.
- If you’re really flexible, you can bend your elbows and reach around your legs for your heels.
- If grabbing the toes or feet are creating too much unsteadiness and you are having a hard time keeping balance and maintaining integrity in this pose, hold on to the backs of your thighs. You still get a great core workout, just a little less intense.
- If you’re less flexible in the hamstrings, keeping knees bent or slightly bent is a great option. Make sure to keep your chest lifted and back flat!
We won’t have a new exercise tomorrow, Sunday the 7th, so your homework is to go through this week’s exercises and do them in sequence. Or, you can just rest. You worked hard this week!
See you on Monday!